– by Tania Tétrault Vrga
I always have such a great time speaking to our members about nutrition when we do our occasional nutrition seminars. Helping people get healthier is something that I’m very passionate about and it has been great to be able to reach so many of you at once. We do these nutrition seminars every couple of months and we usually pick a new topic every time. At the last session, we focused on fat loss.
Having worked with hundreds of people to improve their nutrition, I’ve learned that you can only be successful if you are able to permanently change your everyday habits. Some people can turn things around 180 degrees and go all out 100% paleo all at once, but many people fail at weight loss because they are overwhelmed with information and are not ready to do it all at once. Clearly, the fastest results will come from the biggest changes, but if you are not ready and 100% confident that you can change those habits, it’s simply not going to work. Instead, pick one proven habit to start with for 14 days. Don’t get caught up in trying to do too many things, just commit to this one thing for at last two weeks. This strategy was taught to me by Coach Charles Poliquin and Dr. John Berardi of Precision Nutrition, both amazingly successful at transforming people’s bodies.
As promised here is a list of simple habits that can make a big difference. Some of them are harder than others. If you already eat well, you may need to choose something a bit more challenging. Choose one and ask yourself: How likely am I to do this every day for the next 14 days, on a scale of 1 to 10? If the answer is anything less than an 8, choose something else.
- Take fish oil & a multi every morning at breakfast
- Drink at least 8 cups of water
- Eat protein at each meal
- Drink only water, coffee, tea (no sugar, honey or sweeteners)
- Replace industrial seed oils with coconut oil or butter
- Have meat & nuts for breakfast
- Eat at least 4 one-cup servings of vegetables
- Take a full 15 minutes to eat each meal
- Replace grains with greens at each meal
- Replace beans and legumes with animal protein at each meal
- Replace desert with berries or nuts
- Replace fruit with vegetables
- Replace dairy with meat
- Replace coffee with green tea
- Add 1 hour per week total to your exercise routine
- Every day at work do 5 minutes of burpees, squats, pushups, situps during your break
- Go for a walk during your lunch break
- Sleep at least 7 hours per night
- Meditate or write in gratitude journal
You may not think that just one of these things will make a big change, but you might be surprised. Just try it and see what happens.